20050316

Beautiful figment

Oh beautiful one,
you with the golden smile
i thought you should know
i've cherished you now for quite awhile
after twenty years, i thought you should know

and it seems
you are a figment
some kind of intangible observer
inherently safe within the confines of a dream

there,
my hands cannot touch you,
my lips cannot kiss you,
nor words, can they reach you

so fear not, my figment - you are well preserved

and clutching your knees into your chest
you smile in my direction as if suggesting...
somehow saying, "i do not see you the way you seem to."

and i have watched you watching me for so long now
sitting there in some phantom pasture,
underneath a generic sort of tree
with the wind blowing gently through your hair
i have watched you sitting there

and i have convinced myself that your smile,
albeit an equation of some kind of chemical persuasion,
was an invitation for a rendezvous
but i could never seem to find you,

that kind of tree doesn't seem to grow here anymore.

No comments: